This will be a 9-week course in Blender, a free, professional-quality software suite which provides everything necessary to make animated movies, video games, special effects, and more. This class will be useful to people interested in 3D printing, digital art, 2D or 3D animation, digital prototyping, special effects/CGI, or generally learning new computer skills.
The course will cover Blender's user interface, 3D modelling, basic animation, materials and textures, and various useful kinds of output Blender can provide, with the heaviest focus on modelling. Depending on available time and participant interests, the class may also cover physics simulation, video editing, video stabilization, combining 3D models and real video, more advanced materials or animation, and Blender's internal video game engine.
To see some examples of what Blender is capable of, check out:
- Blender's features page
- the Blender Open Movies (especially Glass Half, Tears of Steel, and Cosmos Laundromat)
- the Blender subreddit
- The Makevention 2017 promo video was created in Blender
- Blenderartists.org gallery
Dates: Every Tuesday from 3 April 2018 through 29 May 2018
Time: 7PM to 9PM
Cost: $150 for the entire class (18 hours of instruction)
Location: Bloominglabs (in the classroom)
Taught by: Alex Von Hoene, a casual user of Blender for 10 years
Participants will need:
- A working laptop made in the last 10 years.
- Chromebooks will not work unmodified, but will work if they have been modified to have a full linux system.
- A 3-button mouse (left click, right click, and scroll wheel) that works with their laptop.
- Apple's magic mouse (which has a large touch-sensitive surface) can also work but will be inconvenient to use.
- Basic knowledge of how to use their computer.
Register for the class by paying here:
or confirm your seat over email, and pay at the start of the first class. Bloominglabs can take cash, or credit/debit cards via Square.